The holiday season is finally upon us. As family and friends gather at our houses we must be sure that everything goes right. This time of year also puts the most stress on our appliances. Whether it’s preparing all of our favorite holiday meals and treats in our ovens, storing them in our refrigerators and freezers and cleaning all of our dishes after the big meal in our dishwashers, we are using our appliances more than usual. So how can we prepare ourselves and our appliances for all of this holiday chaos? Here are a few tips to help us out.
Decorate your home for Fall with this simple-to-make craft idea: dryer vent pumpkins. You can use this craft as a decoration in your home at the beginning of Fall and keep them in (or outside) your home for Halloween and Thanksgiving. Unlike real pumpkins, these pumpkins won’t spoil.
To make the dryer vent pumpkins, purchase a box of flexible foil dryer venting available at www.pcappliancerepair.com. You will also need a hot glue gun or several twist ties, wire cutters, scissors spray paint (orange or light yellow for white pumpkins) and gloves or clips.
- Make a tight circle with your dryer venting to determine the size of your pumpkin and where you need to cut.
- Use scissors to start cutting. A wire runs through the venting tube, which will need to be cut using a wire cutter.
- Spread hot glue on one side of the venting and connect the other side to it to create a circle. Hold in place either by hand (wearing gloves) or by using clips. Let the glue dry for several minutes.
- You can also secure the ends together using twist ties. Poke four holes in the venting (two on each end, top and bottom) and thread the twist ties together to complete and hold the circular shape together.
- Spray paint with your choice of color. I used a glossy orange spray paint with a coating of Krylon Glitter Blast spray paint in Orange Burst over the glossy orange.
- Use a small branch as the stem (glue to secure) or use rolled cinnamon sticks for the stem like Courtney did here for her dryer vent pumpkins. I like how she added some Spanish moss to the tops of her pumpkin.
Thanksgiving Day table decoration idea: place the pumpkins on a a plain burlap table runner (which you can purchase at any craft store). Surround the pumpkins with some Autumn-colored leaves (real or fake).