If you noticed that your gas range has a yellow or an orange flame instead of the standard blue flame with yellow tip in the center of the flame, it might be due to the following factors.
Make sure the burners are clean and placed correctly
If you have an orange or yellow burner flame on your gas range make sure the burner portholes are clean and free of debris. Spillovers and cooking grease can block these openings which can affect the flame color. Make sure the burner holes and ignitor are clean and free from any debris. Use an old toothbrush to clean these areas. If you take the burners apart to clean them, make sure you place them back in their proper position. This can also affect the flame color on your range.
Do you have the proper orifices for your burners?
Be sure you are using the proper orifices depending on whether your range uses liquid propane (LP) or natural gas. Was your range converted from one energy source to another? Along with the orifices, make sure that the gas pressure regulator valve was changed over and the brass orifice (also called a “spud”) that supplies the bake/burner was adjusted.
Other adjustments might need to be made depending on your range. Consult your user’s manual for more information.
Most ranges are sold with LP Orifices and are attached to a storage area on the range in a plastic bag. However, if you cannot locate yours, or they are missing, you can purchase a Gas Range LP Conversion Kit or replacement LP orifices.
Turn off your humidifier
As strange as it may sound, humidifiers seems to turn gas range flames from blue to orange (see this video and this blog post). Turn off your humidifier to see if this makes a difference in your stove’s flame appearance.
The danger of orange or yellow flames
Orange or yellow flames, or sooty flames, means you could have incomplete combustion happening, which could lead to carbon monoxide buildup in your home. There might be an air-gas mixture problem, or a problem with the gas pressure to the appliance. If you suspect this, turn off the gas supply to your appliance and leave your home. Contact a qualified gas technician or call your utility company to request someone come out to your residence to check it out.
Remember, you cannot see or smell carbon monoxide, so it’s important to have carbon monoxide alarms placed throughout your home.