If you noticed that your gas range has a yellow or an orange flame instead of the standard blue flame with yellow tip in the center of the flame, it might be due to the following factors.
WARNING: Before attempting to work on any appliance, make sure that all power (electricity) and utilities (water and gas) have been turned off and/or disconnected on the appliance. Read more
Make sure the burners are clean and placed correctly
If you have an orange or yellow burner flame on your gas range make sure the burner portholes are clean and free of debris. Spillovers and cooking grease can block these openings which can affect the flame color. Make sure the burner holes and ignitor are clean and free from any debris. Use an old toothbrush to clean these areas. If you take the burners apart to clean them, make sure Continue reading
Now is the time to prepare for the cold weather ahead. In addition to cleaning the gutters and caulking and sealing openings around windows and doors, here are some often-overlooked Fall maintenance tasks.
- Change the direction of your ceiling fan to create an upward draft that moves the warm air near the ceiling and distributes it around the room.
- Clean your humidifier before using it (and regularly, throughout the season) to prevent bacteria from being misted out into the air.
- Drain the fuel from gas-operated equipment such as lawn mowers, weed trimmers and chain saws.
- Check and test snow blowers to make sure they are ready for use.
- Flush/drain your water heater tank to remove sediment and minerals that can settle on the bottom and cause rust.
- Change the batteries out on smoke and carbon monoxide detectors throughout your home. Make sure you have enough of these detectors throughout your home, including the basement especially if you have gas appliances.
- Clean the dryer vents.
- Check the hoses on your washer. Replace any leaking, cracked or bubbling washer hoses.
- Clean your refrigerator’s condenser coils using a condenser coil cleaning brush.
- Change or clean your range hood filter or over the range microwave oven filter.